Raven-Woods Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Raven-Woods Forum

A site made by and for fans of good simulation games.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

No cubs this year

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-12-29

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime07/08/10, 12:41 pm

It was the end of Spring. A cold snap had set upon the land and it felt much closer to Winter, thought WhiteWolf, than Summer. She had been increasingly preoccupied lately with the thought of the new pack she was about to raise. The new cubs had been growing in her belly for nearly three months and it was time for them to join this cold world.

She slept next to her pack, snuggling close against her mate, John, who she knew would continue to be a good leader and role model for her growing family. She cracked an eye open in between dozes. It was midnight... then late night... then morning. She felt the perfumed air of Summer and the time had arrived! She stole off towards the den and then, near enough to it, she laid down and proceeded to give birth. It was then that her dream suddenly turned to nightmare - she looked upon the little bodies and, blood chilled, found that they had no life in them. They were dead, all of them. Before they had even a chance to live.

The female's heart was very heavy. She would have no new pack this year. Full of a special kind of pain no other in her pack could understand, she kept to herself for a good half of the day, broken and uncomprehending. She had not been especially hungry or sick... her body was fully mature but not yet old... why? Why had her young ceased to be? What terrible fate could have befallen them? Just, why?

She rejoined her old pack, the only family she now had, and rediscovered her old family life. It was a jarring change to what she had expected but she did not find it unpleasant, and simply carried on. She could try again next year, after all. There was still time.

---WhiteWolf

Note to readers: This story is actually true, except for the part about the actual pregnancy taking place, because there was no way she could reasonably expect to have cubs right up until the last minute without this embellishment. But Summer actually arrived and my alpha female, who I know did mate in the Spring, found herself with no cubs!! I don't know if maybe I accidentally overwrote the pregnancy variable when I last spawned prey, or my saves got mixed up or something, but to this day I couldn't tell you what happened! It is so very strange that I decided to post this little story about it to try and imagine the anguish a wolf would feel who was expecting cubs and yet did not have any!
Back to top Go down
Doom Dragon
Beta-Tester
Beta-Tester
Doom Dragon

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-09-29

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime10/08/10, 06:25 pm

Hmm this is rather strange.
Back to top Go down
WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime11/08/10, 06:34 pm

It is weird, isn't it? I can't honestly think of why WhiteWolf wouldn't have had cubs unless my save somehow got corrupted... I somehow doubt that WOLF's programmers allowed for the player wolf to mate but not become pregnant. My wolf is 4 years old, very much middle-aged, so I doubt it could be age-related. So strange.

---WhiteWolf
Back to top Go down
Kouga
Programmer
Programmer
Kouga

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2008-08-28

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime12/08/10, 09:02 am

^^° You know.. that "Prey Respawn" is a little dangerous. It's been reported that the female stops caring about her pups if you use it while there already are pups. A fine way of getting the female to hunt with you again but a bad idea if she's still pregnant I guess. Seems you damaged the savegame. That's why there were no pups.

There has to be a byte causing this problem and it's yet to be found. (I really want to code a patch-application for savegames... But I know it'll become a hassle since the byte-addresses are different for most savegames, just a floating thought.) But if it's found that bug we trigger will stop doing this to unborn pups and caring females.
Back to top Go down
https://wolf-forum.rpg-board.net
WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime12/08/10, 08:48 pm

So that is what happened. I thought that might have been it. I wasn't sure though because I've got a new computer and I've moved so many files across from the old one in the past few weeks that I could easily have overwritten something or used the wrong version by mistake... this does make sense, though. And I don't actually mind not having cubs for one year - it breaks up the natural cycle a little bit so that there's more time for hunting and exploring. It'll make me appreciate it all the more when there are cubs the following year.

---WhiteWolf
Back to top Go down
Kouga
Programmer
Programmer
Kouga

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2008-08-28

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime12/08/10, 11:41 pm

^^ You can refill the preystock before mating so your next litter won't be endangered.
But I'm not sure.. wasn't there that problem of the prey dieing out rather quickly after that? oO
Back to top Go down
https://wolf-forum.rpg-board.net
WhiteWolf

WhiteWolf

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime13/08/10, 06:28 pm

There was, yes... however, it may be worth living with sparser prey for a little while if it means I would be able to raise another litter. Even with very little prey one year, our entire pack minus one did manage to survive - even the little ones. It may be a risk worth taking.

Hey, you know what else happened in my game that was funny though? At the same time that I DIDN'T have cubs, my territory expanded. Its range doubled. o_o; I now have loads of land and am constantly plagued by Shadow, the 6-year-old lone wolf, who keeps trying to live on its fringes. Seriously, I've attacked her like five times.

---WhiteWolf
Back to top Go down
Unidentified

Unidentified

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-11-29

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime06/09/10, 01:09 am

My favorite wolves are Centaurus and Shadow. Shadow is stubborn. I liked the story though.
Back to top Go down
Kytaradragon

Kytaradragon

Number of posts : 51
Ort : I change it every two weeks, so that they don't catch me.
Registration date : 2011-05-23

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime23/05/11, 11:51 pm

I had Shadow in my pack once, I had to beat her down about three times before she'd quit challenging me.

Oh, and good story. I might wright one about one of my packs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.blizzardchoruswolves.wetpaint.com
Sponsored content

No cubs this year Empty
PostSubject: Re: No cubs this year   No cubs this year Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No cubs this year
Page 1 of 1